Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Faith

I was thinking about how frequently we focus on success. Common sermons will help us have better devotions; show us how to pray more effectively; how to be better parents, employees, employers or witnesses. I think I often miss the point. It is just about trusting Jesus.

I do not mean for an unemployed dad to trust Jesus to provide a job. I mean to trust Jesus even if I do not get a job. Job seemed focused on success. He was so obsessed that he offered sacrifices in case his kids did anything wrong. When his trials came, he desperately wanted to know what he had done wrong. He could not find any error. he was convinced that he had performed his portion of the success formula. When he was crying out to God to know why, God did not answer his question. Instead God reminded him that He was worthy of trusting and was always involved. He invited Job to simply trust.

When I think about the Christian life in this way, it seems so simple. We are going through some hard times and God may not make it better. But that is okay. God never promised to remove all of my suffering. He promises that as I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, He will be with me. And in the end, isn't the nearness of God my good, Psalm 73:28?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have been a PCA pastor since 1993, having been a pastor in Arizona, Florida, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, and as the Team Leader for MTW’s work in Scotland. I am currently the Senior Pastor of Providence Presbyterian Church in York, PA. As a pastor, my desire is to help everyone I meet live out Psalm 73:25, “Whom have I in Heaven but You, and besides You I desire nothing on earth.” I love my Wife Robin, my two sons, Patrick and Michael and my daughter in law, Britney. I am firmly wrapped around the fingers of my granddaughters.

Followers